Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Stop Hating Love Day.

It's Valentine's Day, which means that the world's population is split down the middle between people celebrating love and people complaining about people celebrating love.  Hooray!

I've never understood the hatred for Valentine's Day.  I love it, unapologetically.  It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling every year.

The majority of complaints I hear are about the commercialization of the holiday, and how people feel resentful that they're forced to buy a gift for someone.  If you're with someone who makes you feel bad for not buying them something on Valentine's Day, then maybe you're just with the wrong person?

I haven't bought a "commercialized" Valentine's Day gift since I was a little kid and I had terrible taste in chocolate.  At my house, we make cupcakes and decorate them.  We make our Valentine's Day cards, too, along with love letters enclosed.  Sometimes we do go out to nice dinners, but not always ON Valentine's Day, especially when it's a week night.  That's not much different than any other date night for us, though, as we enjoy nice dinners every day of the year.

What's wrong with one day being dedicated to love?  Why do people get so angry about it?  These same people don't get angry when they have to celebrate their moms on Mother's Day or their kids on their birthdays.  Unless you're a Jehovah's Witness and you eschew all holidays, I don't get the hatred towards this one.

You don't have to be in love to celebrate love, either.  If you don't have a romantic partner, you probably have a parent, friend, kid, or pet that you love.  Use this day to celebrate that love.  If  you don't have a living person or thing to love, you probably love an activity - spend the day doing someTHING that you love.

My point is, hating Valentine's Day is ridiculous.  There's enough hate and negativity in this world.  Give it a break for one day.  Spread love.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...