Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Talking to my niece and feeling old

My niece, Kaytlin, left last Wednesday.  She was here for three weeks, so you'd think I'd have gotten sick of her, but not so much.  I miss her. 

Since I only see Kaytlin once a year now (and she looks much older than she is), I kept forgetting that she's only 13-years-old.  However, she was more than happy to remind me of this fact on many occasions, most of which left me feeling totally out of touch with "kids these days".


WAYS IN WHICH A 13-YEAR-OLD GIRL MADE ME FEEL LIKE AN OLD LADY


  • "Papa Don't Preach" came on the radio.  As I was singing along, she asked, "Who sings this?"

  • Listening to her sing every word to every single new pop song on the radio, many of which I'd never heard before her arrival (and most of which had incredibly inappropriate lyrics).
 
  •  Me:  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN JUNO??????"


  • Waiter at a restaurant in the West Village:  "We have a great happy hour, would you and your daughter like a cocktail to start?"  (Do I seriously look old enough to have a 21+-year-old daughter??)

  • Me:  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN DROP DEAD GORGEOUS??????"

  • Her:  "That guy in the planetarium movie said--"
          Me:  "Wait, that wasn't a guy narrating--that was Whoopi Goldberg."

          Her:  "Who's Whoopi Goldberg?"


  • Me:  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN MEAN GIRLS?????"

  • Having to explain to her who Rosie the Riveter is so that I could have her pose for this photo:

  • Me:  "When I was a kid, I had to go to the library to look up facts and research for school papers."
          Her:  "That sounds so hard."


  • Me:  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN RETURN TO ME???"

  • Watching her shop in Hot Topic.  (Seriously, though--five bucks for a rubber band bracelet??)

  •  Her:  "Who's Dustin Hoffman?"

  •  Me:  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SIXTH SENSE???"



I'm not really complaining--seeing her reaction to the twist at the end of The Sixth Sense was pretty entertaining.  In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that everyone in their thirties should house a teenager if the opportunity should arise; it's fun to see yourself from a new perspective.  I'm kind of an old soul anyway (does anyone under the age of 40 understand the reference in my post title ^, for instance?), so it's kind of refreshing to have my old fogey side validated. 

I think I could use more punctuation in that last paragraph.  It didn't even have an ellipses...or an exclamation point!  But, I digress.  Obviously, I've just made my point about being old.  How many young'uns would even use a semicolon...or the word "young'uns"?  Let them listen to their inappropriate music and buy their silly rubber bracelets.  Better them than me...or than I?  Off to Google.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...