Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Internet fatigue.

Is it just my imagination, or is Blogger dying?

I haven't been checking in on Blogger much since I haven't really been in the mood to post anything myself, but I feel like every time I do log in, there are fewer and fewer new posts to read in my subscription feed.  Has everyone moved on to other platforms, or is the art of blogging becoming obsolete?

Maybe it's just the weather.  I've been blogging for nearly four years now, and every time warmer weather rolls around, people start posting less.  I suppose only time will tell.

That said, I'm kind of getting tired of the internet altogether.  It's just so exhausting, having all these different accounts to check in on.  Last night, I opened up Twitter before I went to bed and thought to myself, this is so pointless.  Half the tweets on my timeline were retweets promoting one thing or another and a quarter of them were inside jokes.  The remaining tweets did nothing to enrich my life, but served only to keep me awake later than I would have liked. I signed out last night and will probably stay away for a few days--or at least until I don't feel like I'm reaching for my phone every ten minutes to check Twitter (there's definitely a detox period). 

I read a survey recently that said teenagers are shying away from Facebook in favor of other social networking platforms.  Maybe this is the beginning of the end.  Maybe we're all just tired of sharing every detail of our lives with the world--I know I am.  Less of my life is documented now than was documented two years ago.  I take fewer photos, but I also enjoy myself more than I did when I was seeing everything through a camera lens. 

This weekend, I'm going with my family to the beach.  There was a time when I would have brought my phone so that I could take pictures and tweet from the shore.  But, do you know what?  It's not worth it.  I don't want to miss going into the water with Husband and The Kid just so that I can make sure nobody steals my phone, which will have to be in a protective ziploc bag to protect the screen from being scratched by sand and kept on ice so that the 90 degree weather doesn't overheat the battery.  How much fun is that?  Zero.  All I want to worry about when I'm lying on the beach is applying sunscreen and keeping my kid from drowning. 

I sound like such a grouch, but I'm really just apathetic about the whole thing.  I'm not giving up on taking photos.  I'm not canceling any of my social networking accounts or my blog.  I'm just tired of trying to keep up--for now.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll feel completely differently next week. For now, I'm going to bed. 

Goodnight.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...