Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Yep, I'm sick...but I'm at the beach!

Cold medicine has muddled my brain, so if this post seems a little erratic or nonsensical, I apologize in advance.

I'm still out of town in--du-du-du-duuuuuuhhhhh!--Myrtle Beach, South Carolina!  I'm telling you all this because I'm scheduling this post to publish by the time I'm long gone, so take THAT stalkers/dangerous criminals!

This bird wanted to eat my bagel.  I told him no.

I'd never really been very aware of Myrtle Beach before, but when I was looking for a place to go on my solo vacation, I had three requirements:  1.  A beach,  2.  Affordable hotel rooms,  and 3.  Round-trip airfare that fell within the price of my travel voucher.  Myrtle Beach fit the bill nicely, so here I am.

Free souvenirs!
As you may have surmised from my opening sentence, I did fall ill--the first night I was here.  I've been feeling progressively worse, but what can I do?  I brought an arsenal of cold medicine along with me, so I'm taking that and wishing for the best.*  Fresh air helps, too, and it's hard to feel too miserable as you're walking along the beach.

Speaking of beaches, can I just say that this one is gorgeous?  I love it here.  The sand is soft, beautiful shells abound, and the horizon is unobstructed--not a boat or another coastline in sight.  Even though I've spent most of my time in the room writing, I've enjoyed my short, daily walks on the beach immensely.  I'd love to come back with my family sometime.

As far as writing goes, this trip has been a huge success, even though I didn't end up working on the project I initially planned to work on.  Instead of a book of essays (which I do have compiled, so the first step is done), I've been transcribing old love letters between my husband and myself.  Throughout the years, I have always wanted to tell the story of how we met and our first year together in a long-distance relationship.  I blogged about it once, but every time I sat down to write a more in-depth account, I've been unhappy with the results.

Finally, I decided to write it in the manner of 84 Charing Cross Road, and compile the letters between us during that time period into a book.  So, I've been spending my time here transcribing letters.  I've written a prologue and an epilogue, but the letters pretty much tell the story themselves.  I'm not quite done editing yet, but right now the manuscript clocks in at 29,400 words and 177 pages, double-spaced.  I'm not quite sure whether I'll submit it to publishers/agents when I'm done, or if I'll self-publish, but either way I'm ecstatic to finally have everything put together, even if nobody else ever sees it.

While I was transcribing last night, I came across some mind-blowing information, which is coincidentally a perfect end to the book.  For years, I had it in my head that the anniversary of the day I met my husband was July 12, 1997, but I discovered last night, as I was reading a letter from myself, that I was wrong.  We actually met on July 11, 1997.  That may seem like an insignificant mistake, but the fact that my son was born on July 11, 2007--ten years, to the day, after his parents met--turns it into a mistake that I can't believe I overlooked all these years.  My head is still spinning.  Crazy, right?
Yes, I ate all this by myself. In 10 minutes. Stop judging me!!!

The rest of my time here has consisted of making small-talk with landscapers and physicists, ordering room service, and being called "darlin'" by every man I come in contact with.  Oh, and drinking hot tea.  Lots of hot tea. 

Something else kind of exciting has happened since I've been here, but I don't want to tell anyone about it until it's set in stone, so I'll let you know if it pans out.  Could be fun, though, so stay tuned!

I can't think of any way to end this post.  I know I should use some words...but my vocabulary is suddenly strangely limited.  I'm going to bed early tonight.  Stupid cold medicine.  Let's hope that they let me on the plane tomorrow.  Maybe I should get one of those SARS masks...


UPDATE 2/10:  I wrote that whole post yesterday, and I'm MUCH sicker today.  This.  Sucks.

*I'm happy that I also thought to bring a box of tissues, because I forgot toothpaste and so I had to pay $2.50 for a tiny travel-sized one in the gift shop.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...