Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Blog Book Update

I hate editing.

As I resolved at the beginning of the year, I've spent the afternoon and evening putting together a book of essays, mostly consisting of old blog posts.  It is exhausting.

While this method of book writing isn't as labor intensive as starting from scratch (most of the writing has been done), the act of compiling and editing is quite burdensome. 

One of the most difficult aspects of this job is that I can't settle on how this ought to be done.  My first thought, which I started working on last year, was to transfer over the whole blog into three volumes: Years 31, 32, & 33.  After several hours of copying, pasting, and editing, I found that this would never work since the first 8-10 months were not exactly what you would call great writing or great reading.  Basically, I spent a lot of time talking about day-to-day goings on but left out all the juicy stuff.

My next thought was to compile posts into short, topical books, i.e. Things that Annoy Me and Lessons Learned.  I began putting the books together today using this method, but then I realized that some of the posts apply to both books.  So, I started thinking that maybe I ought to put them together into one volume called Things that Annoy Me & Lessons Learned, but will that feel disjointed? 

Husband suggested that I split it up into two parts, each with its own subtitle, but then I feel like I need at least one more part.  There are a few posts that I'd like to include which don't fit into either category, but they don't really all go together either. 

BLAH.

The good news is that I leave for my solo vacation on Thursday, so I'll have some uninterrupted time to myself to work on all this.  I also have a few other writing projects I'd like to take a bite out of, but since lacking focus seems to be a running theme when I'm writing, it seems like a better idea to take one idea and run with it.  I'll even give myself a deadline:  March 9th.*  I'm good with deadlines.  Yes.  This pleases me.

I'll likely put the book out as an e-book, possibly for free.  I've already written some new material for each section, but the majority will be made up of old blog posts which have been edited for book form. 

If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions on this whole blog-to-book thing, I'd love to hear them.  Should I do one volume in several parts?  Three volumes?  If each volume is only around 100 pages, would that encourage or discourage you from wanting to read it? 


*Why March 9th, you ask?  Because I wanted to do one month, but then I remembered that February is short, and March 2nd doesn't really seem like it's far enough away for me to finish this thing.  Now that I think of it, March 9th doesn't seem very far away either, but I WILL DO THIS!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...