Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Whatever?

So, some of you may have questions.

For those of you who did not read my old blog, Year 31, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll start from the beginning. 

Back on the eve of my 30th birthday, I started a blog called Year 31.  I wanted to document my 31st year of life, because I had always looked forward to turning 30 years old, and I was a stay at home mom who needed a creative outlet for my tired brain.

Three years passed, and I was still blogging on Year 31.  Although I was 33 years old and the name no longer made sense, I had acquired a small but respectable number of loyal blog followers and made some good friends along the way.

I was publishing new posts on a pretty regular basis still, but there were some major parts of my life that I was not willing and/or able to share with the entire world, so I began to get writer's block.  When you have a few hundred people reading your posts and you can't think of anything to share, performance anxiety kicks in and everything you write begins to go through a filter in your head which comes out lacking on the other side.  So, you delete it and write nothing...at least, that's what I did.

Basically, I just got tired and wanted to disappear for a while.  So, I did.

Yes, I made excuses about wanting to spend my time writing more worth-while things than blog posts, but in all actuality, I just didn't want to feel beholden to my blog anymore.  I needed a break.

Break: over.  What I discovered during my hiatus from blogging is that I missed it.  Even if I don't post on a super-regular basis, I need this, for my own sanity.  My blog was a place to empty my brain, and with no place to record all those thoughts,

This blog will be very similar in content to Year 31, with a few noticeable changes:

1.  A new look.  (That's me, age two, asleep on the potty in the background)

2.  A new name.  I say "whatever" a lot, and I complain a lot, so I thought that the name was fitting.  I'm actually quite relieved to be rid of the old blog, since Year 31 implies that I'm still 30, and so I felt like a FRAUD.

3.  New pseudonyms.  Instead of calling my husband The Hubby, I will just call him Husband.  The Hubby always kind of annoyed me (the name, not the person--well, I mean, he does annoy me sometimes, but I was referring to the name) because it sounds too cutesy.*  But of course I can't call my husband by his real name for purposes related to his work, so I'll just call him Husband from here on out.  The Kid will still be The Kid, but I'll try not to talk about him too much as I don't want to embarrass him now that he's school-aged.

That's basically all the changes.  Nothing too earth-shattering.

I'm also thinking that I'll do more topical posts and fewer personal ones, but I was headed in that direction before I quit the other blog anyway, so I'm not sure anybody would really notice the change.  That's not to say that I won't talk about my life, but I'll try to keep content a little more interesting to people who aren't related to me.

Thank you so much to everyone who has migrated over here from my old blog, and welcome to all of you new readers as well.  I think we're all going to have some fun.

It's good to be back.  :)

*Kind of like how little boys call their penises "weenie"--I've always hated that.  Just use the real name.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...