Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Bruno, The Armless Caveman

I'm thinking of writing and illustrating a children's book.

When I was 19 years old, I used to babysit for a very nice couple in the Sacramento area.  They had two boys, aged one and three, and I would do my best to keep them entertained without using television.

One day, we took out the crayons and started to draw.  By the end of the day, I had written and illustrated an entire children's book for them.  It was about an armless caveman named Bruno who learns an important lesson about prejudice.  I wish I had thought to make a copy of it before I presented it to the mother, whose name I cannot manage to pull out of the dark corners of my brain. 

Just now, as I was looking through the books on the shelves in my new office (and spare bedroom), I came across some loose sketchbook pages on which I had attempted to recreate this book.  Here's a sample:





I only have a fraction of the pages done and I'd have to start all over so they'd match, but I was thinking about finishing it now that I've jogged my memory as to what the characters looked like and how the story went.  My only problem with the story is that it's not historically accurate, as cavemen and dinosaurs never really lived together.  This really bothers me.

Maybe I'll put a disclaimer at the beginning...or just market it to creationists.  One or the other.

Anyway, now The Kid is interested in the book, so I think I'll break out the colored pencils and fill my evenings with sketching this adorably hairy, handicapped caveman and his friendly nemesis.  Why not?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...